Smoking Greatly Increases The Risk For Lung Cancer
Submitted by Riley On 2007-03-09
Exposure to asbestos.
Mesothelioma, another type of cancer that can begin in
the lining of the lungs, is also linked to asbestos.
* Arsenic, which is often found in drinking water.
* Exposure to radon, which is found in the soil. Radon is odorless, colorless and is invisible to the naked eye.
* If you smoke marijuana, you may not know that marijuana cigarettes have more tar than regular cigarettes.
* If you have had a family member who has suffered from lung cancer, you are at a higher risk for being diagnosed yourself.
* Follow your momís advice and eat your fruits and vegetables. A diet that is low in fruits and vegetables may increase your risk.
Most often people do not know they have it until it has spread. Early diagnosis increases your chance of surviving. According to the ACS, the most common symptoms are:
* A cough that does not go away
* Chest pain, often made worse by deep breathing
* Weight loss and loss of appetite
* Bloody or rust-colored sputum (spit or phlegm)
* Shortness of breath
* Infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia that keep coming back
According to the ACS, there are two types of lung cancer. Non-small cell is the most common type, accounting for about 85 percent. Both types of usually begin on the bronchi, even though in some cases tumors may being elsewhere in the lungs.
Treatment for lung cancer can include surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Your personal physician can advise you on the best treatments.
Article Source: Riley at JPServicez-SearchArticles.com
|About the Author|
|For more information on cancer try visiting http://www.cancercondition.com
- a website that specializes in providing cancer related information and
resources including information on